Volkswagen emblem logo composes of the company’s initials, “V” placed over “W”. The first logo was initials surrounded by stylized swastika wings (1937 - 1938), The second logo was initials surrounded by stylized cogwheel (1938 - 1945). They were mainly adopted as company's symbols. The current logo design was officially registered as a trademark in 1948, and the logo was began appearing on production models for export since 1949. How that the VW logo is derived to be remains a mystery, the first logo design was created by Porsche employee Franz Xaver Reimspeiss at an office competition in 1937, this possibility is the most supported. It is also possible that the logo was designed by Austrian industrial graphic designer Nikolai Borg or German artist Martin Freyer.
Only the Australian version of the Beetle could add the hood ornament. However, because the injuries caused by the hood ornament, the road safety authority requested have to remove the hood ornaments from vehicles for the safety of the public. So, the original ornament is very rare and there are many replicas on the market.
The company name "Volkswagen" was given to mean “People’s Car” in German. The brand was created by the chancellor Adolf Hitler’s idea. Hitler wanted to build the Autobahn and make vehicles more affordable for people. The idea was born in 1933, when Hitler visited an auto show in Berlin. Impressed by Ferdinand Porsche's design capabilities and idea, Hitler invited Porsche to launch the production of “People’s Car”, and KdF (Kraft durch Freude in German, "Strength through Joy" in English) was involved in this project. This car project was just one of the many KdF programs. Prototypes of the car called the "KdF-Wagen" appeared from 1938.
At the same time, the predecessor of Volkswagen, ”Gesellschaft zur Vorbereitung des Deutschen Volkswagens GmbH” was founded in 1937 and changed its name to ”Volkswagenwerk GmbH” in 1938. After World War II, the damaged factory was rebuilt under the supervision of the British Army. The company name was changed to Volkswagen, and the KdF-Wagen was also changed to Volkswagen Type 1. The re-establishment of the line was successfully rebuilt and the factory produced more than 1000 cars a month in 1946.