back to main page

USA

GERMANY

FRANCE

ITALIA

UK

SWEDEN

SPAIN

usa
germany
france
italia
united kingdom
sweden
spain

CZECH

RUSSIA

AUSTRALIA

INDIA

MALAYSIA

SOUTH KOREA

JAPAN

czech
russia
australia
india
malaysia
south korea
japan




French car's emblems, logos and badges - Origin, Meaning, History

Brand names Origin, Meaning, History

BUGATTI

BUGATTI emblem










BUGATTI emblem logo depicts the letters BUGATTI in a red oval, and the stylized letters EB above it is derived from the initials of the founder ETTORE BUGATTI.
There are two theories about why there are sixty dots around the edge of the emblem. The 1st theory is that the sixty dots are derived from the pearls that symbolize luxury and pays honor to Carlo, the father of Ettore Bugatti, a professional designer of jewel products and created an elegant carved furniture. The 2nd theory is that the sixty dots are derived from the safety wires. The wires were used in early automobile manufacturing to prevent loosening of fastener parts such as bolts.
Unlike many other car manufacturers that have changed their emblems throughout the course of their company’s history, BUGATTI has retained the exact same emblem since the company was first founded in 1909.

The founder Ettore Bugatti was born in Milan, Italy, and the automobile company Automobiles Ettore Bugatti was founded in 1909 in Molsheim. Molsheim, located in the Alsace region, was part of the German Empire from 1871 to 1919, but is now a French commune.
Tragically, the founder Ettore Bugatti died in 1947 and, because Ettore's son Jean died during in a test driving of the Bugatti Type 57 in 1939, there was no heir to the company. As a result, despite several revival attempts, Automobiles Ettore Bugatti ceased production of its automobiles for several decades.
The company was eventually purchased in 1987 by an Italian entrepreneur Romano Artioli and Bugatti Automobili SpA was founded. Then, the company is owned by the Volkswagen group from 1998.

CITROËN

CITROËN emblem CITROËN emblem CITROËN emblem CITROËN emblem CITROËN emblem

1919

1932

1932

1948

1953

CITROËN emblem CITROËN emblem CITROËN emblem CITROËN emblem CITROËN emblem

1955

1958

2004

2004

2009

CITROËN emblem



2010






CITROËN emblem logo "double chevron" derived from the shape of the contact surface which the helical toothed gears with V-shaped grooves mesh with each other.
The origin of the logo design was traced back to a trip made by the 22-year-old André-Gustave Citroën to Łódź city, Poland in 1900. At the Łódź city, he visited family and met his brother-in-law. One of brother's clients has a small mechanical firm in Głowno, had developed a process for cutting wooden gears in the shape of a chevron. He wanted to apply the process to metalworking, and bought a patent for the manufacturing process that the Russians had at the time. He laid the foundation for the production of the helical toothed gears, and in 1919 merged with the automobile company Mors to establish CITROËN. Early CITROËN cars used a helical toothed gear in final drive of the rear axle.

CITROËN had a number of different logos throughout the history, but the double chevron never left the logos.
In 1919, the first emblem was born at the same time as CITROËN was established. In this generation, the double chevron was placed in a circle with a blue background.
In 1932, two types of emblems appeared, one of which depicts a swan floating on the water. This design was intended to appeal to the floating engine, which is the new engine mount structure adopted for the new Rosalie. The background of the swan looks like a mountain, but it is actually the double chevron. This is the first time that the graphic and the promotional word have been dispicted on the Citroën emblem. Another emblem that appeared in the same year is a large double chevron mounted on a radiator grill.
In the 1950s, the double chevron with a shape similar to modern design was attached on the hood and trunk.
In 1958, DS Coupe Le Paris was attached with the Henri Chapron emblem in addition to the double chevron. This emblem indicates that the vehicle was designed by French car manufacturer Henri Chapron. Citroën had no plans to manufacture DS's coupe or convertible, instead Henri Chapron manufactured those models.
In 2004, the emblem design concept was greatly revised, with the double chevron was integrated with the front grille line, and the double chevron with wider and thicker was attached on the rear side. Since 2009, the edges of the double chevron have been further trimmed and rounded.

CITROËN is known as an automobile company that actively adopts advanced technology. For example, the front-wheel drive system, Unibody, and new suspension system mounted in Traction Avant from 1934, and the hydropneumatic self-levelling suspension system mounted in DS from 1955, and so on.
The headquarters of CITROËN are in Paris, France. The company has been under the umbrella of Michelin since 1934, Peugeot (PSA Group) since 1976, and Stellantis N.V. since 2021.

The company name CITROËN is derived from the name of its founder André-Gustave Citroën. CITROËN means lemon in Dutch. His grandfatherran a fruit shop whose last name was "Limoenman", which means Limeman in Dutch. When the family moved from Warsaw to Paris, his father-in-law changed his last name to Citroën.

DS AUTOMOBILES

DS AUTOMOBILES emblem










DS AUTOMOBILES emblem logo was designed based on the "DS" of the brand name.
DS is a luxury car brand of the Stellantis N.V. Group. The brand was originally launched in 2009 as a luxury sub-brand of Citroën and became independent of Citroën in 2015.
How that the DS is derived to be remains a mystery, though there are five different theories that have been posed over the years.
・ Abbreviation for Different Spirit
・ Abbreviation for Distinctive Series
・ Abbreviation for Desiree Speciale
・ The car neme of Citroen DS released in 1955
・ French "deesse" which means goddess

PEUGEOT

PEUGEOT emblem PEUGEOT emblem PEUGEOT emblem PEUGEOT emblem PEUGEOT emblem

1905

1923

1933

1948

1955

PEUGEOT emblem PEUGEOT emblem PEUGEOT emblem PEUGEOT emblem PEUGEOT emblem

1960

1975

1998

2012

2021


PEUGEOT emblem logo features a lion. The history and origin of this lion begins in 1810, when PEUGEOT was founded. The company at that time did not manufacture automobiles, but manufactured saw products, umbrella frames, coffee grinders, and so on. Based on the lion created by the engraver Justin Blazer, the first lion emblem logo was born in 1847 and registered as a trademark in 1858. The emblem logo expressed and symbolised the toughness of sawtooth like the lion's tooth, the flexibility of blade like the lion's spine, the strength and cutting speed of steel like the bounding lion.
In 1905, for the first time, the grille of a PEUGEOT car was adorned with an emblem of a lion walking on an arrow. For some time after that, various shapes of lion mascots were displayed on the radiator grill. The standing lion was adopted for the emblem from 1948, and the first standing lion was depicted in the coat of arms. This emblem is derived from the coat of arms and flags of the Franche-Comté. In 1960, the lion profile was depicted on the entire surface of the emblem. Then, in 1975, the standing lion was revived with a sophisticated contour design known as "Lion fil". In 2021, the lion's profile on the entire surface of the emblem was revived.

In 1810, Jean-Pierre Peugeot's two sons, Jean-Pierre II Peugeot and Jean-Frédéric Peugeot founded PEUGEOT Frères at the place called "Sous-Cratet" on the commune of Hérimoncourt. Initially The company PEUGEOT Frères was a steel mill, producing a variety of metal products. In 1889, Jean Pierre Peugeot's grandson Armand Peugeot collaborated with the steam expert Léon Serpollet to make the first PEUGEOT "Type 1" steam-powered three wheeler. The following year, Armand made the Peugeot "Type 2" quadricycle with the Daimler petrol engine.
In 1929, PEUGEOT unveiled its first mass-produced car, the 201. This was the first PEUGEOT car to use the iconic numbering system of three digits with a zero in the middle. In addition, the reason Porsche renamed the model "901" to "911" is that PEUGEOT had already acquired the trademark.
In 1974, PEUGEOT acquired a 38.2% stake in Citroën and in 1976 acquired 89.95%, then PSA Peugeot Citroën was born. The premium sub-brand DS was announced in 2009. In April 2016, the name was changed from PSA Peugeot Citroën to Group PSA. In January 2021, it merged with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. (FCA) to form STELLANTIS N.V.

The company name of PEUGEOT is derived from the name of its founders, Jean-Frédéric Peugeot and Jean-Pierre Peugeot.
The group name of STELLANTIS N.V. is derived from the Latin word "stello", which means "to brighten with stars". The name pays homage to the rich history of each of the FCA and PSA groups and also signifies the "creation of one of the new leaders and merger opportunitiesin the next era of mobility".

RENAULT

RENAULT emblem










under construction

VENTURI

VENTURI emblem
VENTURI emblem
VENTURI emblem


1985

1989

2000




Venturi emblem logo depicts a gyrfalcon standing on a hunting glove. The gyrfalcon which raises its wings and forms "V", is the symbol of the power and speed. The hunting glove expresses that humans can control that power and speed. The blue, white and red color are reminiscent of the French flag.

In 1984, the history of Venturi begins, when MVS (Manufacture de Voitures de Sport) was founded by the French car company Heuliez engineers Claude Poiraud and Gérard Godfroy. The first prototype model "Ventury" was unveiled at the 1984 Paris Motor Show. The last letter of this model name was "y" instead of the familiar "i". This Paris Motor Show was also the catalyst for meeting Hervé Boulan, a businessman and Ferrari enthusiast who would later become a Venturi sales manager. The mass production model was renamed to "Venturi" in 1986, because Hervé Boulan suggested that the name spelling end be changed to "i".
In September 1985, the first emblem with the company name "MVS" was born by Gérard Godfroy. The background color of the emblem is the red that is the symbol of Pays de la Loire, the birthplace of the brand and company. The red oval is reminiscent of the sun.
In 1989, Xavier de la Chapelle was appointed CEO and the company name was changed from "MVS" to "Venturi". At the same time, the emblem was redesigned, and the gyrfalcon emblem was born.
In 2000, Venturi went bankrupt and was acquired by Monegasque businessman Gildo Pallanca Pastor. The head office was relocated to Monaco. The corporate strategy has also changed significantly, and the company has decided to focus on the electric vehicle business. At the same time, the new V-shaped design emblem was born. Although a new emblem was born, the gyrfalcon emblem continued to be used to remember the glorious past of car racing. The new V-shaped emblem and the gyrfalcon emblem are arranged horizontally on the bonnet and bumper.
In 2004, Venturi announced the world's first electric sports car, "Fétish".

The exact origin of the company name "Venturi" and the prototype model name "Ventury" is unknown, but they are reminiscent of the English word "venture" and the term in the fluid mechanics "Venturi effect". It is said that Hervé Boulan wanted to make the European-style name by changing the original "Ventury" to "Venturi", because "Ventury" is reminiscent of the English word "century".

Note: If you want to see the car photos of each brand, please tap or click the brand name.





USA

GERMANY

FRANCE

ITALIA

UK

SWEDEN

SPAIN

usa
germany
france
italia
united kingdom
sweden
spain

CZECH

RUSSIA

AUSTRALIA

INDIA

MALAYSIA

SOUTH KOREA

JAPAN

czech
russia
australia
india
malaysia
south korea
japan
back to main page
Copyright © 2020 Origin Island All Rights Reserved.